Depression is classified as a mood disorder about mental illness. It can be experienced in different ways resulting in lost time and lower productivity.
Depression can also affect Relationships and chronic conditions. Some of the conditions that are most likely to worsen due to depression are ;
- Cardiovascular disease
Symptoms of Depression.
The symptoms can be experienced in different ways according to the age and gender of an individual.
Some of the common symptoms and an example of how they are experienced are as follows;
- Mood e.g anxiousness
- Emotional well-being e.g Hopelessness
- Behavior e.g Loss of interest and suicidal Thoughts
- Sexual interest s.g Lack of sexual performance and reduced sexual desire
- Cognitive abilities e.g difficulty in completing tasks
- Sleep patterns e.g Insomnia
- Physical wellbeing e.g fatigue
Causes of Depression
- Family History
- Early childhood Trauma
- Medical conditions
- Drug and substance abuse
Some of the Risk factors for depression are ;
- Low self-esteem
- Personal History of mental illness
- Certain medications
- Stressful events e.g loss of a loved one
Treatment of Depression
- Light therapy
- Physical exercises
- Learning how to say No and being assertive
- Avoiding Drugs at all cost
The post Not Sure Whether You Are Suffering From Depression? Check out this one ! appeared first on Nairobi Times.